Friday, October 10, 2008

I refuse to study for quizzes anymore

This was a major revelation this week. Or rather, I made the resolution not to study for quizzes anymore last week, and this week I bore it out, and I am so happy that I did. Out of my four classes, three of them have a quiz each time we meet. Cumulative quiz. And theoretically it can include your readings even if we didn't get to them in class.

I say theoretically because THAT has yet to happen.

But the idea of having to study for quizzes on top of finishing the readings and doing the papers was just too much, so I decided that I'd just read my homework and go over my notes a few times before class, and forget worrying about any specialized study. It seems to be working.

Earlier this week I had the strangest encounter on the train platform. Someone had brought two dozen Dunkin Donuts to class and only two were left over. I had the misfortune of being the last one out of the room, so it was decided that I had to dispose of said donuts. I didn't really want to eat either of them; one was a chocolate covered cream, and the other some sort of nut-crusted apple. They both looked good, but I just didn't want a donut. So I figured that I'd take the whole box and see if anyone at the train wanted my donuts.

So I schlep the donuts in their box all the way to the station, where I arrive early with NO ONE else on the platform. So I sit. And as the first person arrives, I ask, "Um, hey. Do you want a donut?" "Oh, no thank you," she replies, "I don't eat donuts."
"You don't eat donuts? Is it the sugar?"
"No, I just don't like them."
"You don't LIKE donuts? Why??"
"I just don't. Why don't you eat one?"
"Well, I like donuts just fine, I just don't want one right now."
"Why do you even have donuts? A meeting?"
"Oh, left over from class."
"Oh. Well, maybe someone else will want a donut." And she sits down next to me.

Another man approaches; he looks a creative sort.
"Hi. Uh, would you like a donut?"
"Oh, no thanks. I already had a donut today."
"You've got a donut quota?"
"Ha, yeah. Sorta. What's in there?"
"Chocolate covered cream and apple."
"Oh, yeah, I prefer plain."
"Ok."
"They've probably got razorblades or something anyway."
"I hope not! They're from the seminary. They probably have trans fats though, which is just as bad."
"Yeah."
And he takes up a post to my other side. Then a small group arrives, which appears to be some sort of performance troupe. One of them carries drumsticks, but they all have that slightly manic quality and specific hand gestures that belies an actor.
"Hey, anybody want a donut? They're free."
"Oh no. Thanks. I don't eat donuts."
"Nobody seems to eat donuts anymore. I just don't want to throw them away."
"What's she doing?" "She's giving out donuts." "Is it an experiment?" "No, I just want to give them away." "Why, does she work for Dunkin Donuts?" "No, someone brought them to class and I don't want to waste them. Do YOU want a donut?" "No thank you. I'm a vegetarian."
"Are you a vegan?" "No, just a vegetarian." "What's wrong with a donut?" "I don't know. Probably fat or something." "Oh, yeah, it's definitely got fat."
"So do none of you want my donut?"
"............No, none of us want your donuts."
And then THEY just stand around next to me, waiting to see what will happen next. And naturally, with a small crowd, nothing much does.
"Free donut?" "No thanks." "Free donut?" "Uhm, no."
"Is it that I'm giving out donuts?" I ask the first woman. "What if I was giving out ham sandwiches?"
"Ham sandwiches would definitely be more sketchy than donuts. I wouldn't eat your ham sandwich."
"Is it that there are only two left? Like the last cookie on the plate, everyone wants to be polite?"
"That might have something to do with it."
"Look, I just want someone to take just one of these donuts, because until then, even that theory doesn't work."
"Oh, say, there's Matt. Hey Matt! You want a donut?"
"Sure! Oooo, chocolate covered cream!"
"Hooray! Someone ate my donut!"
And the whole crowd does a little cheer. I kidd you not.
"Wow, awesome. Thanks for the donut. You made my night."
"You made my night by taking my donut."
"Well happy to help."
"Me too."
"I'd like to buy a donut."
"What? No! Just take the donut!"
"They are free?"
"Yes! Please! Take it!"
"Oh, thank you!"
"It's apple."
"Oh good. I like apples."
"Well look at you; you gave away all your donuts."
"I'm glad I finally did."
"Here, let me take that box for you; I'm already standing."
"Thank you."

And then, slowly, we all dissolved back into our own worlds, waiting for the train. I wished I had more donuts.

No comments: