Sunday, May 2, 2010

So my mother gives out the link to this thing...

...and I realize I really must update it more often. If for nothing more than a spotty record of this period in my life. I'm in a preaching class (assignment: preach) so here's one I did earlier this semester for no other reason than I had to. It's brief, but hey, I used a lightbulb.

Read Text: Mark 4:21-25

He said to them, “Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or under the bed, and not on the lampstand? For there is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed, nor is anything secret, except to come to light. Let anyone with ears to hear listen!” And he said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear, the measure you give will be the measure you get, and still more will be given you. For those who have, more will be given, and from those you have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.”

As I was preparing for today, I had an idea.

(I hold a light bulb over my head)

Where do light bulbs belong? (demonstrating) Do lightbulbs go in a drawer, or under a chair? (Play with putting lightbulb in silly places). No, they go in a lamp, to make light! And yet we keep light bulbs in a drawer or stored on a shelf before they are ready to be used. Light bulbs are stored and hidden away until it is time to reveal their light; light bulbs stay in a box until it is time to turn them on.

The Kingdom of God is like this lightbulb. It is here, and yet it has not realized its full potential. This light bulb is here in my hand, and we can all see it, but it is not yet on. But this light bulb will certainly be turned on, just as soon as I can get a ladder and put it in that lamp up there.

But listen to what I’m saying. You are in seminary and church. Listen carefully to everything you hear concerning the Word of God. For as much as you carefully listen, that is how much you will learn. Have you ever heard the phrase, “you get what you pay for?” Or, “You get out of it what you put into it?” As much effort as you put into learning about the Kingdom of God, you will understand that much, and then more. But if you don’t bother listening, if you don’t even try to learn, you won’t learn anything—in fact you’ll lose what little you know now! So don’t be discouraged. Don’t give up trying. You can do it. Keep trying to hear what God is saying, keep seeking the Kingdom of God. The light is about to turn on.

Amen.

No comments: