Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ack, how did I miss November??

So I missed most of November...it had a holiday! TWO in my family, as my hubby's side celebrated Christmas as well, in order to capitalize on the high concentration of siblings in one location. So it was a big deal.

And it was my first Thanksgiving-in-charge! I didn't do the turkey (we mostly-vegetarians clearly know nothing about cooking such an important meat dish; I was happy to abdicate it) but I did do most of the rest of the cooking for 15 people! It was wild. And I had a lot of help, but by the end of it, it all came out at the right time and we all ate ourselves stupid. I was quite pleased with it, and would gladly do it again. Hooray!

This is going to be a brief shout out to my new bud Maurice (I hope I spelled your name right). May you start reading the Bible with joy, buddy. Cause it's a big thing, and kinda complicated in many respects. I mean, when you consider that it's really the love story between God and the Israelites (well, the first half at least, it's a love story for everyone by the time you get to the end of it all) you have to accept some pretty interesting concepts. Like maybe it's not...it CAN'T be a word-for-word literal history. Because the ancient Hebrews just didn't think like we do about history, they weren't necessarily interested in proving events happened or citing specific dates or numbers...it's like asking you to retell your life story; it's true because it's yours, but some details might be a little different than from how they actually happened. That, in fact, doesn't make them less true. I know people might not agree with that, but I think this opinion is pretty solid.
I mean, have you read it in Hebrew??? I've only read bits, but it's a fascinating language--and mind set! They just didn't think like we do, have concerns about details like we do...they were much more physical and visual in their words and experiences, whereas we value concepts and ideas. I mean, it's basically the difference between a literate and an oral culture, really.

And the beauty of it is that it's still true, and good, and the wonderful Word. Even if, no, it may not be literal historical proveable fact...it is still true. I love that paradox!

I think my next post will just be my latest paper. I'm pretty pleased with it, and would be happy to take comments.

No comments: